One of the most durable stones, granite is generally used in artistic and architectural applications like the outdoor sculpture. This visibly granular igneous rock is usually available in pink, light or dark grey colors. Consisting of the quartz and feldspars and other dark minerals, granite is often sold as black. With little or no quartz or alkali feldspars, these pieces are interchangeably used with true granites. Mica, pyroxene and hornblende etc are the other contents that are contained in granite. It is not an acid soluble stone like limestone, marble or calcareous sandstones. Granite is more resistant to cleansing agents, rainwater or acidic solutions. It is less prone to deterioration and has lower water absorption. Harder than marbles, this popular stone must be purchased from genuine supplier of granite paving.
Those interested to purchase granite from reliable sources must focus on the following –
- Expertise and reputation – It is suggested to approach the paving supplier that deals in the best granite pieces. The buyer must emphasize on the experience of the supplier that is master in stone masonry. References from friends, relatives or other known people may be sought before buying granite paving. Going through the newspapers, yellow pages or walking down the local market is good. Likewise a click on the mouse of your PC can enable you to have access to the most reliable granite suppliers. They hire the services of skilled stone masons that understand the diverse characteristics of different stone materials and are equipped with their basic know-how.
The guys that are in the market for reliable supplier of granite paving should see that the latter is reputed enough. Suppliers with undisputed standing should only be relied upon. The right company demonstrates both the expert skills and exceptional services to their clients that are fully satisfied with them. Face to face interaction with the suppliers of granite goes a long way in owning good pieces. Focus must be emphasized on overall quality.
Those thinking to buy good granite must ensure that –
- The piece bought by you must be free from blistering. It is generally caused due to de-icing salts or ground water.
- Those buying granite pieces should see that they are not prone to chipping, i.e. separation of small or large fragments from the masonry units at the edges, corners or mortar joints. It is caused due to repairs, deterioration, vandalism or accident.
- Pieces procured from supplier of granite paving should be free from cracking. It includes appearance of narrow fissures that result due to structural overloading, use of hard mortar mix or any flaw. Entry of water into the interior of granite may cause cracks that can be rectified with replacement or patching work.
- Detachment is another fault with granite paving. It can be repaired with adequate pointing and caulking that prevents leakage and penetration of water into the structural system.
Other issues related with granite paving include erosion, flaking, peeling, damp and staining that should also be addressed well.